Prep 168 hrs
Cook 2 mins
My friend Lorraine B gave me this wonderful recipe when I was looking for an interesting hostess gift. One of the best things about this recipe is that it only takes one week to infuse, as opposed to up to a month that I've seen in other recipes. I actually made a quadruple recipe and got 6 bottles to give as gifts (I kept one for myself, of course!). At last night's preliminary tasting (2 hours after bottling) I can tell you that this is a very refreshing tipple! I'm also going to try this with oranges this winter.
- Wash the lemons, using soap, rinse well.
- Peel the lemons. I used my Microplane Zester and got lovely lemon zest, but you can also use a potato peeler. Make sure not to get any of the bitter white pith.
- Place the peel into a bowl and cover with the vodka. I used a large Tupperware bowl with a cover.
- Let the lemons infuse in the vodka for one week.
- Line a strainer with paper towels and strain the lemony vodka into a bowl that will hold more than twice its volume.
- Mix the sugar with the water in a pot and let it come to a boil.
- Boil for 2 minutes, giving it an occasional stir.
- Let cool.
- Add the sugar syrup to the lemon vodka and mix.
- Place in your favorite bottle.
- Keep the Limoncello in the freezer (it won't freeze).
I doubled this recipe. I have 2 quart glass containers in the freezer to give as gifts tomorrow. Plus 2 750 ML bottles for us. Plus whatever we drank while bottling it...LOL This stuff is good and worth the wait...I'm excited to give it out as gifts! I added two limes to mine and a few more lemons, but otherwise followed the directions.
I just finished making up a batch of this for Christmas( and Hanukkah) gifts, and after sampling a small shot last night, I am so glad I chose this recipe! I used meyer lemons and also added a sprig of lavender as suggested in another recipe, as well as the rind of one lime. I think I'll attach a couple of drink ideas on the bottles and make a couple of friends very happy :-). Thanks Mirj!
Someone was asking about limoncello and I went to show them the recipe I use (this one) only to discover I had not reviewed it. So here goes - I have made this recipe a couple of times and I absolutely love it. I have given it as a gift and the recipient loved it as well. You cannot go wrong.