1/2 Photos of Lori's Smothered Cube Steaks
1 hr 20 mins
Lori Mama's Note:
I had a couple of cube steaks, along with some odds and ends in the fridge, so this is what became of them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cube steaks
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 10 medium sized brown button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 slices bacon, cooked almost crisp (I use the microwave)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons season salt (your choice)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 -1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2In large saute pan, on medium high, heat 2 tbsp of the oil.
- 3Meanwhile, place flour along with season salt in a dish.
- 5Dredge steaks, coating well on both sides.
- 6Reserve remaining flour.
- 7Fry steaks in oil for 3 minutes on both sides.
- 8Place in oven going baking dish coated with non stick spray.
- 9Add the remaining oil to the pan.
- 10Saute the onions for 5 minutes, then add mushrooms and continue sauteing for another 5 minutes.
- 11Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- 12Add 1 tablespoons of the reserved flour, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- 13Add the wine, cooking briefly and then the stock.
- 15Should it become thicker than you want, just add more stock.
- 16Cook until desired consistency.
- 17Add the bacon, tarragon and pepper to taste.
- 19Pour mixture over the steaks and bake 45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lori's Smothered Cube Steaks
Serving Size: 1 (408 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 535.3
- Calories from Fat 358
- Total Fat 39.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 19.9 mg
- Sodium 378.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 8.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
brown button mushrooms