Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I had a couple of cube steaks, along with some odds and ends in the fridge, so this is what became of them.
- 2 cube steaks
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 10 medium sized brown button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 slices bacon, cooked almost crisp (I use the microwave)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons season salt (your choice)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In large saute pan, on medium high, heat 2 tbsp of the oil.
- Meanwhile, place flour along with season salt in a dish.
- Dredge steaks, coating well on both sides.
- Reserve remaining flour.
- Fry steaks in oil for 3 minutes on both sides.
- Place in oven going baking dish coated with non stick spray.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan.
- Saute the onions for 5 minutes, then add mushrooms and continue sauteing for another 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add 1 tablespoons of the reserved flour, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the wine, cooking briefly and then the stock.
- Should it become thicker than you want, just add more stock.
- Cook until desired consistency.
- Add the bacon, tarragon and pepper to taste.
- Pour mixture over the steaks and bake 45 minutes.
So yummy! I made this as directed but added more onions and mushrooms - I love them. This was so simple and I loved that it went into the oven. The red wine was wonderful in this and the mushrooms really soaked up that flavor. I will double the sauce next time to pour over mashed potatoes. Thanks Lori for sharing such a nice keeper. Made for Every Day is a Holiday Tag.
There is a lot of flavor to this not so fancy cut of meat!! Made with beef stock instead of chicken stock, but otherwise made as written. I did cut back a little on the mushrooms since DH does not like them. Will be making this again and may double the sauce ingredients to have some to pour over mashed potatoes. Made for Photo Tag.