Prep 4 hrs
Cook 35 mins
WOW!!! This is well worth the effort!
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds (toasted, ground)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds (toasted, ground)
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds (toasted, ground)
- 1⁄2 cup Bulgar wheat
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons butter (room temp)
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons orange rind (grated)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2⁄3 cup warm water
- 4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 pinch sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 3 cups rye flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat gluten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons dry buttermilk
- Combine the seeds, bulgar, butter, molasses, orange peel and boiling water. Let stand 1 hour.
- Combine the warm water, yeast and sugar. Let stand until foamy.
- Add bulgar mix.
- Combine the flours, gluten, baking soda and dry buttermilk.
- Stir into bulgar mix, 1 cup at a time.
- Knead until smooth.
- Place in a sprayed bowl. Cover with a damp towel. Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Punch down. Repeat.
- Punch down. Form into 2 loaves.
- Place on sprayed baking sheets. Cover with same towel. Let rise 30 minutes.
- Heat oven 350.
- Place a pan of water in the oven.
- Bake loaves 30-35 minutes or until hollow sounding when tapped.
- Let cool on racks.