1/1 Photo of Lori's Mexican Chili Crockpot Soup
6 hrs 45 mins
6 hrs 30 mins
Lauralie41 (Lori) gifted me with a RecipeZaar premium membership renewal and I wanted to thank her for her kindness! Please feel free to change the ingredients to personalize it to your tastes. If you don't want to use the crockpot, just make everything in a large pot, cover and let simmer on low for at least an hour. I have included some of Lori's favourite ingredients in this hearty soup and I hope that she and you like it. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 907.18 g extra lean ground beef
- 473.18 ml onions, diced (1 large onion, can use white, red or a combination)
- 236.59 ml celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 78.07 ml low-sodium taco seasoning (I use CoffeeB's Taco Seasoning Mix with less salt)
- 473.18 ml beef broth (may need more)
- 236.59 ml corn
- 538.64 g can chickpeas (or your preferred bean)
- 538.64 g can kidney beans (or your preferred bean)
- 283.49 g can mushrooms, sliced, with juice
- 793.78 g can tomatoes, crushed or diced
- cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- avocado, diced (optional)
- tortilla chips, broken (optional)
- 1In a nonstick pan, lightly brown ground beef. If you are using anything other than extra lean beef, you may want to strain off the fat now. Add onion, celery and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes.
- 2Add taco seasoning and beef broth and simmer for 15 minutes. This will infuse a lot of flavour into the ground beef. Meanwhile, add remaining ingredients to the crockpot. You can add the liquid from the beans or not - I did.
- 3Add ground beef mixture to the crockpot. If you find that there isn't enough liquid, add more beef broth. I cooked it on low for 6 hours, but I can't imagine why it can't be cooked longer. The longer you cook soups in a crockpot, the better they taste!
- 4If you can taste the soup partway through, you may want to season it to your tastes at this point. Add some freshly ground pepper, chili powder or any of your favourite spices or seasonings.
- 5Top with grated cheese and diced avocado and tortilla chip pieces if you wish.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lori's Mexican Chili Crockpot Soup
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 241.1
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 47.0 mg
- Sodium 426.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 23.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium taco seasoning