Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs 30 mins
Lauralie41 (Lori) gifted me with a RecipeZaar premium membership renewal and I wanted to thank her for her kindness! Please feel free to change the ingredients to personalize it to your tastes. If you don't want to use the crockpot, just make everything in a large pot, cover and let simmer on low for at least an hour. I have included some of Lori's favourite ingredients in this hearty soup and I hope that she and you like it. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 2 cups onions, diced (1 large onion, can use white, red or a combination)
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup low-sodium taco seasoning (I use CoffeeB's Taco Seasoning Mix with less salt)
- 2 cups beef broth (may need more)
- 1 cup corn
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas (or your preferred bean)
- 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans (or your preferred bean)
- 1 (10 ounce) can mushrooms, sliced, with juice
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, crushed or diced
- cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- avocado, diced (optional)
- tortilla chips, broken (optional)
- In a nonstick pan, lightly brown ground beef. If you are using anything other than extra lean beef, you may want to strain off the fat now. Add onion, celery and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add taco seasoning and beef broth and simmer for 15 minutes. This will infuse a lot of flavour into the ground beef. Meanwhile, add remaining ingredients to the crockpot. You can add the liquid from the beans or not - I did.
- Add ground beef mixture to the crockpot. If you find that there isn't enough liquid, add more beef broth. I cooked it on low for 6 hours, but I can't imagine why it can't be cooked longer. The longer you cook soups in a crockpot, the better they taste!
- If you can taste the soup partway through, you may want to season it to your tastes at this point. Add some freshly ground pepper, chili powder or any of your favourite spices or seasonings.
- Top with grated cheese and diced avocado and tortilla chip pieces if you wish.
This soup was perfect, loved it! Thank you so much Nif for putting this recipe together for me! I used a little over 2 lbs of ground round, 1 large yellow onion, celery seed instead of the celery, 1 packet of Taco Bell's taco seasoning mix, 32 ounces of beef broth, 1 can undrained corn, 1 can undrained canellini beans, 1 can of undrained kidney beans, omitted the mushrooms, a can of petite diced tomatoes, and accidentally opened a can of tomato sauce instead of the diced tomatoes so went ahead and added the sauce too. Added some lemon pepper and fresh ground black pepper. DH topped his with shredded cheddar cheese and I just dug right in to mine! Wonderful soup and so versatile! Thank you again sweetie, this will be a favorite!