Prep 4 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This is my low calorie version of certain fast food chains Orange Chicken. Most of the ingredients are "to taste", but this will give you the basic idea.
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice concentrate
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 -3 minced fresh garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chili flakes
- 3 -4 chicken pieces (I prefer breast meat)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sesame seeds (for garnish)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon orange zest (for garnish)
- Combine orange juice concentrate, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sesame oil and chili flakes in a bowl.
- Add chicken pieces (either cut or whole).
- Marinate 4-6 hours minimum (you get more orange flavor the longer it marinates).
- *For whole chicken pieces, it can be grilled on a BBQ or in a skillet.
- *For cut chicken pieces, it works great as a stir-fry over rice. (NOTE: for cut/smaller pieces of chicken, marinate for for closer to 2-3 hours).
- Sprinkle chicken with sesame seeds and orange zest, serve and enjoy.
Absolutely loved this recipe!!!
This is a very good home made orange chicken. I did not see the marinade time so I boiled my chicken then cooked in the marinade and it turned out well. I could use it a little sweeter but there is so much individual taste that you have to decide what you like. I will try it with less sesame oi land soy sauce next time. Thanks for this Lori.
This was a tad bit salty with the soy sauce. I'd put more orange juice and less soy. The chili flakes definitely give it a bite. I forgot the sesame seeds and orange zest and it was just fine. Made for Zaar Healthy Tag Game 2010.