Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is to DIE for... Gave it 6 stars! Made it up from some pierogi ideas. You don't REALLY have to make the pasta, but it's fun and it does make a world of difference! If you don't make it, use 1 1/2 lbs. dried and blanch for 3-5 minutes before using. Hope you enjoy it!
- 4 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- flour (as needed)
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh cracked pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups homemade chicken stock (a MUST)
- 1 lb ham (chopped)
- 2 cups light ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can sauerkraut (drained, rinsed well, may not need all!)
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese (shredded)
- Combine the flour and salt.
- Add eggs, water and oil. Mix well to form a dough.
- Knead until smooth on a floured surface. Wrap in plastic wrap. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 15 equal pieces.
- Keeping others covered, roll out 1 with a pasta machine into a 15 x 3 inch strip, using flour if needed to prevent it from sticking/tearing.
- Hang on a rack. Repeat with all.
- Heat oven 350.
- Heat butter in a saucepan.
- Add flour, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk and stock. Simmer until thickened.
- Stir in ham. Remove from heat.
- Combine the ricotta, eggs and a pinch of salt.
- Spray a large baking pan. Place a little of the sauce on the bottom.
- Using 3 noodles at a time, layer noodles, ricoota mix, sauerkraut and cheese.
- Repeat 3 times.
- The last layer should only consist of noodles, sauce and cheese.
- Poke several toothpicks all over top (this will prevent foil from sticking to surface).
- Cover with foil. Bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover. Bake 30 more minutes.
- Let stand 10minutes before cutting.