2 hrs 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Lori 13's Note:
This is to DIE for... Gave it 6 stars! Made it up from some pierogi ideas. You don't REALLY have to make the pasta, but it's fun and it does make a world of difference! If you don't make it, use 1 1/2 lbs. dried and blanch for 3-5 minutes before using. Hope you enjoy it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- flour (as needed)
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh cracked pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 2 1/2 cups homemade chicken stock (a MUST)
- 1 lb ham (chopped)
- 2 cups light ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can sauerkraut (drained, rinsed well, may not need all!)
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese (shredded)
- 1Combine the flour and salt.
- 2Add eggs, water and oil. Mix well to form a dough.
- 3Knead until smooth on a floured surface. Wrap in plastic wrap. Let stand 10 minutes.
- 4Divide dough into 15 equal pieces.
- 5Keeping others covered, roll out 1 with a pasta machine into a 15 x 3 inch strip, using flour if needed to prevent it from sticking/tearing.
- 6Hang on a rack. Repeat with all.
- 7Heat oven 350.
- 8Heat butter in a saucepan.
- 9Add flour, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cook 1 minute.
- 10Whisk in milk and stock. Simmer until thickened.
- 11Stir in ham. Remove from heat.
- 12Combine the ricotta, eggs and a pinch of salt.
- 13Spray a large baking pan. Place a little of the sauce on the bottom.
- 14Using 3 noodles at a time, layer noodles, ricoota mix, sauerkraut and cheese.
- 15Repeat 3 times.
- 16The last layer should only consist of noodles, sauce and cheese.
- 17Poke several toothpicks all over top (this will prevent foil from sticking to surface).
- 18Cover with foil. Bake 30 minutes.
- 19Uncover. Bake 30 more minutes.
- 20Let stand 10minutes before cutting.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lori's German Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (440 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1012.2
- Calories from Fat 523
- Total Fat 58.1 g
- Saturated Fat 26.8 g
- Cholesterol 318.8 mg
- Sodium 3251.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 45.2 g