Recipe by Kiss The Cook!
Lately I have of late been roasting a chicken every weekend. This weekend we had less guests than usual-I used the leftovers for a beautiful and delicious chicken pot pie, a wonderful one pot meal. It's a bit different, using roasted butternut squash, potatoes, carrots, and baby green beans instead of the usual potatoes and green peas. I hope you will try it, it was great!
Top Review by sheepdoc
The chicken pot pie lovers in my house told me not to stop making my 'regular' chicken pot pie. The potato/squash/carrot layer was kind of starchy for pie. The overall taste was good. Made for PAC 14.
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts, at room temperature
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into 1-2 inch chunks
- 1⁄2 cup baby carrots
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup cooked thin green beans
- 1 medium onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper, granulated garlic powder, and dried thyme
- 2 cups chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove prepared refrigerated pie crusts from refrigerator and let come to room temperature.
- Peel, seed, and cube butternut squash and place on roasting pan coated with non-stick cooking spray. Peel potatoes and cube, placing on same prepared roasting pan, along with baby carrots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and roast in oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour until tender. Remove from oven and allow to slightly cool.
- In a heavy duty skillet, saute celery and onion in 3 tablespoons olive oil until translucent. Add 3 tablespoons of flour and stir for 1-2 minutes to make a roux. Add 1 1/2 -2 cups chicken broth, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic and salt and pepper to taste, simmering on medium heat until thickened. Add more chicken broth if needed until desired thickness.
- Place one pie crust in 8 x 10 casserole dish. Place chicken and roasted vegetables on top of crust. Top with sauteed vegetables and roux, mixing gently. Top with remaining crust and cut 3-4 slits in top of crust to allow steam to escape.
- Place casserole in 350 degree oven on bottom rack for 45 minutes, allowing bottom crust to bake evenly. Move casserole dish to top shelf and increase temperature to 400, baking 15 minutes longer to allow top to brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.