Lori's Bean and Barley Stew
- Soak beans 8 hours. Drain. Rinse. Place in a pot. Cover with water generously. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Add barley. Return to a boil. Simmer 40 more minutes. Drain.
- Heat butter and oil in a pot. Add onion and garlic. Saute 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery and jalapeno. Saute 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add beans, barley, salt and pepper and the peas. Simmer 5 minutes. Stir in herbs. Serve.