Prep 8 hrs
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is good and healthy. Also a little different...
- 1 cup dried white bean
- 1 cup pearl barley (rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil
- 1 onion (minced)
- 1 large garlic clove (minced)
- 1⁄2 cup carrot (peeled, chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno (seeded, minced)
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 5 cups chicken stock (preferably homemeade)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- 1 tablespoon basil (minced)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (minced)
- Soak beans 8 hours. Drain. Rinse. Place in a pot. Cover with water generously. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Add barley. Return to a boil. Simmer 40 more minutes. Drain.
- Heat butter and oil in a pot. Add onion and garlic. Saute 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery and jalapeno. Saute 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add beans, barley, salt and pepper and the peas. Simmer 5 minutes. Stir in herbs. Serve.