Prep 10 mins
Cook 32 mins
There are many recipes out there for similar coconut cakes, but my aunt in my opinion, hit the jackpot with this one! It is so easy, and way too good! NOTE: Prep time does not include cooling time after the cake is made.
- 18 1⁄4 ounces duncan hines moist deluxe classic white cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large egg whites
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 13 1⁄2 ounces coconut milk
- 14 ounces angel flake coconut, divided
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- Using the first (4) ingredients, make cake as directed in a 9 x 13 pan.
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, poke holes with the handle of a wooden spoon throughout cake -- approx 12 to 16 holes in all.
- Mix together sweetened condensed milk and coconut milk.
- Pour milk mixture over hot cake slowly, allowing to absorb and allowing some to go on the edges, as well.
- Place cake in the refrigerator, uncovered, until chilled. Approx 2 hours.
- Mix 1/2 bag (or approx 7 oz) of coconut with the cool whip and spread on top of the chilled cake.
- Sprinkle remainder of coconut over top of cake.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Refrigerate any unused cake.
- NOTE: You may use your preference of white cake mix, just follow those instructions as stated on the cake box.
This is the only cake I'll bake from here on out. No kidding, after a week being kept in the fridge it still tastes like it was freshly baked. i use kittencal's recipe # 203905 for the frosting. Anyone who doesn't use your recipe is missing out. Thanks for posting this wonderful keeper and for those of you who can't find coconut cream, check out Winco (liquor dept) or any Asain market.