Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I created this recipe to go with meatballs & spaghetti noodles last night. It turned out very flavorful, not bland, & everyone was really pleased with it. I'd like to remember how to make it again sometime so I am posting it now. I don't pre-cook the onion & green pepper because we like them a bit al dente, but feel free to saute them in a dab of oil before adding the remaining ingredients. I hope you enjoy it too!
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I used a can of Onion and Garlic flavor)
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon basil (I had California Basil, dried but not crushed fine)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley (I used fresh minced)
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Combine all ingredients in dutch oven or large soup pot.
- Bring to a low boil, reduce heat, cover & simmer for 35-40 minutes.
- Add extra water if necessary to achieve the desired thickness.
- I added fully cooked meatballs at the last 5 minutes of simmering & served over cooked spaghetti noodles.
This was very very good. I replaced the wine with white grape juice because that's what I had on hand. I added meatballs for about 15 minutes after the sauce was done. My kids really liked it too! Made for Ramadan Tag. Thanks Tink! :)
I've never made Spaghetti and Meatballs before. Have always made a meat sauce for our spaghetti. I really liked this as an alternative method of cooking spaghetti. The sauce was very thick and rich. The red wine was an excellent addition for some great flavor. I thought the basil was a little much for us so decreased that to about a 1/2 tablespoon and left out the thyme (don't care for it) but other than that made exactly as directed. Per your suggestion for the meatballs I made recipe #173026 I'll make this again for sure. Thanks Tink Made for Summer Spectacular :)