Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
A culmination of several recipes over the years, this is another delicious breakfast that is made the night before; sparing the chef from getting up early or messing up the kitchen first thing. Serving size is listed as 6-8, but I serve with bacon or sausage & possibly scrambled eggs so we usually get 10 servings out of it. Can also be halved & made in a 9x9 brownie pan to serve a family of 3-4.
- 1 loaf bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (buttermilk or potato recommended)
- 4 cups strawberries, quartered (fresh or frozen)
- 1 (4 ounce) package cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 7 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced into 1-inch thick slices
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 16 ounces frozen strawberries, thawed and quartered
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- Spray a 13x9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle bread cubes over bottom of dish.
- Sprinkle berries over bread cubes.
- Sprinkle cream cheese over berries.
- In large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, half & half, almond extract, nutmeg & cinnamon.
- Arrange French bread slices over the surface of the berries & cream cheese, creating a flat surface of bread rounds & getting in as many as possible without them popping up. Pour egg & milk mixture over French bread slices.
- Mix melted butter, brown sugar, corn syrup & pecans and spread over french bread slices. Cover tightly & refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator & let stand 20-30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake uncovered 50-60 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes before slicing.
- For Syrup (can be made fresh or in advance, refrigerated, and reheated for serving):.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; add water.
- Bring to boil over medium heat and boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in strawberries and reduce heat. Simmer for 8-10 minutes or until thickened. Stir in butter and serve over french toast.
With 3 houseguests for several days this recipe was a real saver & A GREAT BREAKFAST TREAT for all of us! I did use frozen berries, but definitely want to make this again when strawberries are in season around here! I used a potato bread base for this dish & it all came together so nicely ~ AN ABSOLUTELY GREAT TASTING FRENCH TOAST DISH! Thanks, much, for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed as a thank you for one of the great hosts during the current round of PAC]