Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got something like this recently at a local Vietnmese restaurant except they used shredded pork and grilled pork combined. It was light, yet filling, and perfect for warm weather. I bought my meatballs from the freezer section of my local Asian market, but you can make your own using any pho vien soup recipe that includes meatballs. In some ways this is like bun salads, but is arranged like a composed platter. TNT
- 8 ounces boneless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces prepared vietnemese meatballs
- 3 ounces rice vermicelli
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1⁄3 cucumber, seeded and julienned
- 1 cup fresh bean sprout (optional)
- 1 head leaves lettuce
- 2 scallions, slivered
- 3 -4 small fresh hot chili peppers (bird chiles)
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- 1⁄2 cup nuoc cham sauce
- 1⁄2 cup assorted fresh herb (basil, cilanto or mint)
To cook chicken
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3⁄4 cup water, divided
- 1⁄4 cup honey, divided
- Cut chicken into small pieces.
- Flatten lemongrass with a ceaver and cut into 3 inch lengths.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, and add chicken and lemongrass.
- Cook until chicken is cooked through, then add meatballs, and 1/2 cup water mixed with 2 tablespoons honey.
- Cook, stirring, until water is absorbed and meat has browned.
- Add another 1/4 cup water mixed with 2 tbsp honey, and cook over high heat until mixture thickens into a sauce, then remove from heat.
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan, then remove from heat.
- Add rice vermicelli to water in bundles, and submerge until noodles soften then drain noodles.
- NOTE: if you do noodles ahead and they clump just rinse under cool water and re-drain.
- Arrange lettuce onto serving plate and top with noodles bundles.
- Add alternating piles of meat, and vegetables.
- Top with fresh herbs, slivered scallions, chopped peanuts, and hot chiles.
- Drizzle with nuoc cham sauce and serve.