1/3 Photos of Lorie's Vietnamese Salad, Hanoi Style
Sue Lau's Note:
I got something like this recently at a local Vietnmese restaurant except they used shredded pork and grilled pork combined. It was light, yet filling, and perfect for warm weather. I bought my meatballs from the freezer section of my local Asian market, but you can make your own using any pho vien soup recipe that includes meatballs. In some ways this is like bun salads, but is arranged like a composed platter. TNT
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces boneless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces prepared vietnemese meatballs
- 3 ounces rice vermicelli
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1/3 cucumber, seeded and julienned
- 1 cup fresh bean sprout (optional)
- 1 head leaves lettuce
- 2 scallions, slivered
- 3 -4 small fresh hot chili peppers (bird chiles)
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- 1/2 cup nuoc cham sauce
- 1/2 cup assorted fresh herb (basil, cilanto or mint)
To cook chicken
- 1Cut chicken into small pieces.
- 2Flatten lemongrass with a ceaver and cut into 3 inch lengths.
- 3Heat oil in a large skillet, and add chicken and lemongrass.
- 4Cook until chicken is cooked through, then add meatballs, and 1/2 cup water mixed with 2 tablespoons honey.
- 5Cook, stirring, until water is absorbed and meat has browned.
- 6Add another 1/4 cup water mixed with 2 tbsp honey, and cook over high heat until mixture thickens into a sauce, then remove from heat.
- 7Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan, then remove from heat.
- 8Add rice vermicelli to water in bundles, and submerge until noodles soften then drain noodles.
- 9NOTE: if you do noodles ahead and they clump just rinse under cool water and re-drain.
- 10Arrange lettuce onto serving plate and top with noodles bundles.
- 11Add alternating piles of meat, and vegetables.
- 12Top with fresh herbs, slivered scallions, chopped peanuts, and hot chiles.
- 13Drizzle with nuoc cham sauce and serve.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lorie's Vietnamese Salad, Hanoi Style
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 443.0
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 48.3 mg
- Sodium 155.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 28.1 g
- Protein 21.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
nuoc cham sauce