Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 50 mins
This delicious recipe was given to me by my aunt. Note: As of Nov 3, 2008, I've revised the recipe and directions so as to make them more clear on the advise of one of the reviewers. I've added an approximate weight to the 6 chicken breasts. As far as the pan goes, my favourite pans are well seasoned cast iron as they tend to be relatively nonstick and go from stove top to oven readily.
- To caramelize the shallots (may be done early in day) heat oven to 375 F and melt 1/2 of the oil/butter in an ovenproof pan.
- Add shallots and toss to coat.
- Place uncovered pan in oven for 30 minutes, tossing once.
- Add wine and vinegar, continue roasting for another 45 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and place on stovetop.
- MAIN INSTRUCTIONS:.
- To the caramelized shallots, add stock and reduce to half.
- Season chicken to taste.
- Heat a heavy bottomed, oven proof pan over medium heat until it just begins to smoke.
- Add remaining oil/butter, add seasoned chicken skin side down and sear for 3 minutes to crisp skin.
- Place pan in oven for 15 minutes.
- Return to stovetop, turn breasts over and finish cooking (5 minutes).
- To serve:.
- Slice chicken in half on an angle and spoon shallots over top.
- Good with sweet or regular mashed potatoes.
5 Stars, taste was sublime, thank you for clarifying recipe! For both the shallots and the chicken breasts, ovenproof and stovetop-proof skillets are required, as both operations are needed and you don't want to lose any of the fond (the browned and carmelized bits). I finessed my heavy-duty 12-inch Farberware stainless steel frying pan by putting aluminum foil around the handles for the oven, but only the Milennium non-stick cast-iron-like pan finished off the chicken breasts as desired. I had huge Perdue chicken breasts with skin on (DH had deboned them), and the stove-top times were way off, I followed my instant read meat thermometer instead. Since only 5 huge chicken breasts fit in my 12-inch frying pan, I recommend hunting down regular-sized chicken breasts, so the recipe will work according to directions. I put the remaining chicken breast in my 10-inch Farberware Millenium non-stick saute pan, and everything I put in that pan finished picture-perfect. Thanks for posting and updating the recipe. Made for Zaar Stars Tag.
So worth all that you have to do to make this. We all loved on how well this came out. the favor is very memorable.
I had a package of four skinless chicken breasts but still used one pound of shallots. This is a very good chicken recipe and the carmelized shallots are wonderful. Served wih Garlic Mashed Potatoes by NurseJaney and enjoyed! Thank you Dreamer for posting this recipe. Made and reviewed for the cookbook forums 2008 Favorites tag game.