Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is made from the leftover egg yolks from the Lady Baltimore cake!
Make and share this Lord Baltimore Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
Filling and Frosting
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut (or 3 crumbled soft macaroon cookies)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, drained and chopped
- Cream butter; gradually add sugar; beat until fluffy.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and slowly add to the mixture.
- Mix together the cake flour, salt, and baking powder and add alternately with the milk.
- Add extracts.
- Pour mixture into 3 greased and floured 9-inch layer pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Invert pans and continue cooling.
- Lord Baltimore Frosting.
- Mix sugar, cream of tartar, water and salt.
- Bring to boiling, stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Slowly add sugar to egg whites, beat with electric mixer until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- Beat in vanilla.
- To 2 cups of frosting add remaining ingredients.
- Spread first layer of cake with half of the fruit frosting, cover with second layer.
- Spread with remaining fruit mixture.
- Top with third layer.
- Frost entire cake with remaining plain frosting.