1/1 Photo of Lorac's Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Stuffed cabbage rolls can be eaten as a one dish meal. Spoon some of the juices and tomato pieces over each roll. We also like them with mashed potatoes and they work well with rice. With the cabbage and tomato, no other veggie is needed. For step by step photos on making cabbage, please check out my turorial here http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=224914
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Remove the core from the cabbage with a paring knife.
- 2Place the cabbage core side down in a microwave safe dish, add 1 cup of water and microwave on High power for 12 minutes.
- 3Rinse the cabbage with cold water until cool enough to handle.
- 4Remove the leaves that come off easily without breaking (you can cut away more of the core if needed to lossen the leaves). Set aside 3 or 4 of the tough dark green outer leaves for later.
- 5To remove the remaining useable size leaves, place the cabbage back in the microwave and cook on High for 5 minutes, repeat the cooling process.
- 6For the rice, bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil in a covered sauce pan, add the rice, stir, cover and remove from the heat.
- 7Let sit 5 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed, let cool to room temperature (if you can't get "instant rice" you can substitute 3 cups of cooked rice).
- 8Place rice and ground meats in a large bowl, add salt and pepper to taste.
- 9With your hands, combine the ingredients using a folding motion.
- 10Place 1/4 to 1 cup of the meat mixture in the center of a leaf and fold the stem end over the mixture (if the bottom stem is hard, cut a lenghtwise slit in it).
- 11Fold the sides over the stuffing then the top of the leaf down over the rest.
- 12Place the rolls seam side down in a baking pan or dish, large enough to hold them in a single layer.
- 13Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- 14Thin slice the salt pork.
- 15Pour the diced tomatoes over the cabbage rolls and top with sliced salt pork.
- 16Place the reserved outer leaves on top and cover tightly with aluminum foil, place pan in the oven and bake for 2 hours.
- 17After cooking, discard the outer leaves and salt pork, place the rolls in containers, add the pan juices and tomato pieces. Refrigerate or freeze, cabbage rolls are really better when served the next day but if you can't wait - go ahead and eat!
- 18To serve, reheat the cabbage rolls in the pan juices covered, adding a little water if needed.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lorac's Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 357.0
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 78.7 mg
- Sodium 293.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 22.9 g