Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe is from an old canning book...I think this would make a nice gift.......
Make and share this Loquat Butter recipe from Food.com.
- 4 lbs loquats
- 3⁄4 cup bottled lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 3 cups sugar
- Wash loquats and remove ends and seeds.
- Cut in half and place in a suacepan with the lemon juice and water.
- Add lemon halves and cinnamon sticks.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lemon and cinnamon sticks.
- Continue cooking until mushy.
- Puree in a food processor or food mill.
- Put puree in a heavy pan and add sugar.
- Stir occasionally for 15-20 minutes until puree is thick and spreadable.
- Put into hot jars, clean rims and seal.
- Process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes.
This is delicious. I am so glad to find a recipe for those lovely golden loquats...or Chinese plums, as they were called when I was a kid. Directions #8 fails to mention that you must cook the pureed ingredients. Directions #9 is not accurate...I had to cook it close to 50-60 minutes to achieve the desired consistency. I have posted some pictures if they are accepted. This is a great use of Nature's unusual bounty.
This is easy and delicious! Tastes and spreads a lot like apple butter. I will be saving all the loquats from my tree for more batches of this in the future!