- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth or 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked smoked chicken (can substitute BBQ-flavored tofu)
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup gruyere cheese or 1⁄4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: Cajun seasoning is easy to prepare at home and there are several good recipes on this site. As a suggestion this is one I like: Recipe #34011 (omit the oil.).
- In a medium stock pot cook the onions in hot oil until onions are tender and softened, about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the Cajun seasoning and sprinkle the brown sugar onto the onions. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until onions are golden.
- Stir in the flour, cook for 1 minute more, breaking up any lumps.
- Stir in the broth, chicken (or tofu), wine and black pepper. Cook and stir soup until heated through.
- Taste and adjust seasoing if necessary. Top each serving with cheese and parsley.