Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This master sauce is used over and over again to braise beef, poultry and pork. Makes wonderful leftovers for use in stir-fry or soup noodles. After using, strain and keep refrigerated or frozen until next loo session.
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 6 slices fresh ginger
- 1 star anise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- Bring all ingredients to a boil.
- Add meat, reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes each side.
- Bring to a boil, turn off heat. Keep covered and let sit for 3 hours or until internal temperature reached appropriate doneness.