Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is from my SIL's mom and it's wonderful.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 medium onion, chpd.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, chopped,reserving liquid
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 1⁄2 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 small red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small green pepper, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea
- *Ifusing medium grain rice, use 1 1/4 c.
- broth; if using parboiled rice, use 1 3/4 c.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add chicken and stir until browned.
- Add rice, onion and garlic.
- Cook, stirring, until onion is tender and rice is lightly browned.
- Add broth, tomatoes, tomato liquid, paprika, ground red pepper, and saffron.
- Bring to a boil; stir.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 min.
- Add shrimp, pepper strips, and peas.
- Cover and simmer 10 min.
- or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Makes 6 servings.
I would rate this 5 stars, but DH thought it was too spicy. I used a yellow rice mix, so I omitted the saffron and used about 2 cups chicken broth because the mix instructions said to use 3 1/2 water to that amount of rice (5 servings). It really was quite easy and took less than 50 minutes to make---more like 30, I would say. Thanks for posting.