Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Originally found at calorierestriction.org posted by Michael Sherman. See that site for his recommendations on selecting specific ingredients. He also suggests adding 1 g (2 capsules) of Calcium, but the submission form didn't allow that in the ingredients list.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup rice bran
- 3⁄4 cup psyllium, husk
- 1⁄3 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brewer's yeast
- 1 scoop whey protein powder (20 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (no sodium)
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups papayas
- 1⁄3 cup pumpkin (canned)
- 2 medium endive
- 1 large whole egg
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons stevia
- 1 capsule zinc, 15 mg
- Spray a 9x13x1" non-stick brownie pan with canola oil.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine in mixing bowl: rice bran, psyllium, cocoa, protein powder, flour, brewer's yeast, baking powder.
- Mix by hand until uniform and without lumps. Stir in hazelnuts. Set aside.
- Blend on high until smooth: egg whites, egg, milk, oil, vanilla extract, almond (or peppermint) extract, pumpkin, endive, papaya (or guava), sucralose (or stevia), salt, calcium, zinc.
- Add liquid to dry ingredients; mix vigorously and thoroughly.
- Pour batter into pan(s) and spread evenly. Wet the back of the mixing spoon with hot water (or spray a little canola oil on it) and use it to push the batter around to make it an even depth and to make a smooth, flat top. Pay special attention to the edges; it is easy to leave gaps and low spots there.
- Cook 30 minutes in the upper half of the oven. Do not attempt to use the "toothpick test" (where you cook until an inserted toothpick comes out clean). If you do, the Brownies will be overcooked.
- Let cool. The mix will rise substantially in the oven but will shrink back somewhat during cooling.
- When cool enough to handle (5 minutes or so) cut in 4 by 4 pattern to make 16 rectangular Brownies.
- Put these *upside down* on a towel or cooling rack.
- This allows moisture to evaporate from the bottom and improves the texture noticeably.
- Cool for at least another 10 minutes.