Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
--heard directly from an old longhorn cook who worked there for 5 years.
- 2 steaks, fresh and never frozen (1-inch thick, any kind except prime rib)
- 2 -4 tablespoons butter (not margarine)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- Take the steaks out of the fridge, and allow to come to room temperature.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet (you can even use a cast iron skillet) on high heat until very hot.
- Rub both sides of the steaks lightly with the lawry's seasoning.
- Add 1/2 the butter and 1/2 the lemon juice to the hot skillet, next add one steak in the center of the skillet.
- Cook 2-4 minutes on each side (depending on the thickness and how you like your steak done) with a lid on, and make sure the kitchen is well ventilated because this could get smoky. Do not poke holes in steak to test for doneness, as this will dry the meat out.
- Once steak is cooked, repeat with other steak, and let both steaks sit for 2-3 minutes to allow juices to distribute throughout.
- When ready to serve, you can add additional butter, lemon juice and seasoning to your liking.