Recipe by COOKGIRl
An Irish-inspired salad recipe I tested and assembled for our upcoming annual St. Patrick's Day meal. Use any (mixed) salad greens of your choice. One shamrock-shaped cookie cutter (not too large) is required for this recipe. Feel free to substitute green beans and yellow/wax beans for the asparagus.
Top Review by mswmag48
I thought the combination of ingredients did not complement each other well at all. I brought this to a st. Patrick's Day party, I got no compliments on it was edible but nothing great. The cheese made it really weird in my opinion, and the dressing was kind of sour. I was really disappointed after all the work it took to make it.
- 6 cups mixed greens (or you can use one specific lettuce or greens of choice)
- 1 medium granny smith apple, unpeeled, diced small (use a small amount of lemon juice or vinegar and toss to stop the browning)
- 12 -16 asparagus spears (ends trimmed) or 12 -16 asparagus tips (ends trimmed)
- of fresh mint, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 ounces irish cheddar cheese, cubed small (we love Irish Dubliner)
- 1 small parsnips or 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 -2 large green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons raisins (golden or dark, currants can be substituted, too)
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk buttermilk
- cream, for thinning (optional, if needed)
- 2 -3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: I used leftover roasted asparagus spears from the previous night's dinner. Roasted would be preferred over steaming (my personal opinion.).
- Whisk the salad dressing ingredients together and refrigerate. Best prepared 1 hour in advance of serving.
- Combine the salad ingredients in a bowl except for the bell pepper and raisins. Toss.
- Take a shamrock-shaped cookie cutter and cut out shapes from the green bell pepper. (You may need an extra bell pepper to do this step.) How to: first slice the bell pepper lengthwise from stem to bottom. Remove seeds and membrane. Cut out shapes.
- Divide the salad onto  salad plates. Garnish with the shamrock-shaped slices of bell pepper; add the raisins.