1/1 Photo of Long Live the Irish Green Salad!
An Irish-inspired salad recipe I tested and assembled for our upcoming annual St. Patrick's Day meal. Use any (mixed) salad greens of your choice. One shamrock-shaped cookie cutter (not too large) is required for this recipe. Feel free to substitute green beans and yellow/wax beans for the asparagus.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups mixed greens (or you can use one specific lettuce or greens of choice)
- 1 medium granny smith apple, unpeeled, diced small (use a small amount of lemon juice or vinegar and toss to stop the browning)
- 12 -16 asparagus spears (ends trimmed) or 12 -16 asparagus tips (ends trimmed)
- fresh mint, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 ounces irish cheddar cheese, cubed small (we love Irish Dubliner)
- 1 small parsnips or 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 -2 large green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons raisins (golden or dark, currants can be substituted, too)
- 1Note: I used leftover roasted asparagus spears from the previous night's dinner. Roasted would be preferred over steaming (my personal opinion.).
- 2Whisk the salad dressing ingredients together and refrigerate. Best prepared 1 hour in advance of serving.
- 3Combine the salad ingredients in a bowl except for the bell pepper and raisins. Toss.
- 4Take a shamrock-shaped cookie cutter and cut out shapes from the green bell pepper. (You may need an extra bell pepper to do this step.) How to: first slice the bell pepper lengthwise from stem to bottom. Remove seeds and membrane. Cut out shapes.
- 5Divide the salad onto  salad plates. Garnish with the shamrock-shaped slices of bell pepper; add the raisins.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Long Live the Irish Green Salad!
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 146.5
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 19.2 mg
- Sodium 134.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: