Recipe by Oolala
From Mrs. Nelson Rockefeller in Favorite Recipies of our FIrst Ladies, 1971. I never made duck but love it so maybe this will be the recipe I'll try.
- 1 duck
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 cup port wine
- 1 whole clove
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange peel, grated
- 1⁄2 cup brown sauce, bottled
- 1⁄2 cup currant jelly
- 1⁄2 cup canned black cherries, pitted
- 1⁄2 orange, juice of
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Quarter the duck and rub all over with salt, pepper' poultry seasoning and paprika.
- Place duck in a dry skillet, skin side down and cover tightly; cook over medium heat for 1 hour, turning the duck over every 20 minutes.
- DO NOT POUR OFF FAT DURING COOKING.
- For the sauce, combine the wine, clove, nutmeg, thyme, allspice and orange peel and cook over moderate heat until the volume is reduced to one half.
- Heat the bottled brown sauce and add it to the sauce.
- Blend well and add the currant jelly and once that dissolves, add the black cherries, orange juice, and butter.
- Serve very hot over duckling.