Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Great recipe for when it is too wet or cold to barbecue. Also great when substitute ketchup for BBQ sauce.
- 2 -4 submarine rolls (6-inch )
- 1 1⁄4 cups corn flakes, crushed
- 1⁄2 small onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- salt & pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons ketchup, extra
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Split sub rolls in half lengthways.
- bake rolls, cut side up on wire rack inside rimmed baking sheet until golden and crisp (about 5 mins).
- combine cornflakes, onion, milk, 4 tablespoons ketchup, worcestershire sauce, thyme, garlic powder, egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.
- add meat and knead gently until well combined.
- top toasted rolls evenly with meat mixture, spreading meat to edges of rolls.
- Brush top of meat mixture evenly with remaining ketchup and bake until meat registers 160 degrees (20-25 mins approx).
- Top burgers with cheese and continue to bake until cheese melts, 3-4 minutes.
- Let rest for 5 mins.