My boys love chicken fried steak any which way it comes served. We have had many an argument over what is the correct name; chicken fried or country fried. To me they are the same! I have included the gravy recipe as well, no chicken fried steak would be complete without it ! The original recipe came from a Texas cookbook, but I have changed it up a bit. Serve with a big pot of mashed potatoes and plenty of bread and butter for dipping!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs round steaks, cut into 4-6 pieces, tenderized (sirloin works well too)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half or 1⁄2 cup milk
- oil (for frying)
- 6 tablespoons pan drippings or 6 tablespoons bacon grease
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups hot milk
- salt and pepper
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in pie plate.
- In another pie plate, combine eggs and milk.
- Dredge meat in flour mixture, shaking off excess flour.
- Dip steak into egg mixture and dredge again in flour.
- Heat 1/2 inch oil in a heavy skillet.
- Place steaks in skillet and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- To make gravy, remove steaks to warm oven. (I use my toaster oven for this step).
- Remove all leftover oil except for 6 T. and the brown bits.
- Add flour to skillet.
- Cook and stir until flour begins to brown.
- Add hot milk and whisk until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper and pour over warm steaks.