Prep 30 mins
Cook 51 mins
From Mitchel London Foods.
- 3 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fresh grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 lb ziti pasta (may substitute penne, or short macaroni)
- 3 3⁄4 cups whole milk
- 8 tablespoons butter (plus extra for the baking dish)
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg (small pinch)
- kosher salt
- fresh ground white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a bowl, combine the first 2 ingredients; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat; cook the pasta until al dente, 10-12 minutes; drain and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- In a small saucepan over med-high heat; bring milk to a simmer.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter; when the butter starts to bubble, whisk in the flour; cook, stirring constantly for 5-6 minutes; then remove pan from heat.
- Whisk in the hot milk all at once.
- Add in the cayenne, nutmeg, and salt/pepper to taste.
- Return the mixture to high heat and cook, stirring constantly, until it comes to a boil and thickens (about 2-3 minutes).
- Reduce heat to low; add in 2 cups of the combine cheeses; cook and stir until the cheeses have melted completely.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and mix lightly.
- Lightly butter a 3 1/2 quart baking dish; sprinkle 1/2 cup combined cheeses over the bottom.
- Cover with 1/3 of the pasta and 1/3 of the remaining cheese.
- Repeat layers twice, ending with a layer of cheese.
- Pour the cream over all and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Place casserole dish on the middle shelf of the oven; bake about 30 minutes or until the macaroni is bubbling and the crumbs are golden brown.