Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A great spread for biscuits, but also fabulous as a filling for cakes, pies and tarts! The only one I use. This is fairly tart, as I like it on biscuits, so if using as a cake filling, I would up the sugar to 1 or 1 1/4 cups.
- 3⁄4-1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- Combine sugar, lemon zest and eggs in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stirring with a whisk, cook until sugar dissolves and mixture is light in color (about 3 minutes).
- Stir in lemon juice and butter.
- Cook for 5 minutes more, stirring constantly until the mixture thinly coats the back of a spoon.
- Let cool, cover and chill. The mixture will thicken as it cools.
- If using in a cake, it is best to make this the day before.