Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
An inexpensive and surprisingly easy take on the coffeehouse treat made with everyday ingredients and everyday utensils. Tastes quite creamy with 2% milk, but is also good with 1%. To make the vanilla syrup extra fancy, leave a vanilla pod in 4 cups of white sugar overnight and substitute 1 cup of this for the regular sugar. Another note - the syrup's consistency is just a bit thicker than water. Once you have this syrup on hand, it only takes about 10 minutes to prepare the drink.
- 2 cups water
- 2 Earl Grey teabags
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons vanilla-flavored syrup
Homemade Vanilla-Flavored Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- To make syrup: Bring water and sugar to boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Simmer 10 minutes on medium-low heat. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Cool to room temperature. (It is also fine if it is still warm when you use it) Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Boil 2 cups water and steep Earl Grey teabags for 3 minutes (or longer for a very strong flavour) in teapot.
- While tea is steeping, heat milk on medium-high heat, whisking often, until quite frothy (takes about 3 minutes).
- Spoon 2 tablespoons vanilla syrup into each mug.
- Pour 1 cup tea and 1/2 cup frothy milk into each mug.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg, if desired. Enjoy!
Very refreshing and a nice change from my usual coffee latte. I used Decaf Earl Grey. I already had the syrup on hand (I make it using the same recipe). I used a Bodum microwave milk steamer/frother. The nutmeg is a nice touch. This would also be good with Lady Grey Tea (Twinings Brand) Made for Spring 2011 PAC game.
I liked this drink but the only thing is tasted a little watered down. Next time, I would make it with 1 cup of water and 2 cups of milk and let the tea bags just sit in the hot milk so it gets really tea-y (if that's a word). I loved the vanilla syrup! Made for PAC Spring '11
This was a really nice drink to enjoy on a cool evening. I very much enjoyed the flavor combination of the bergamot from the Earl Grey and the vanilla. The milk made it very smooth and creamy, perfect for a cup to enjoy before bed.