Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This makes for a hearty meal :P Prep time doesn't include marinating time.
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) beef flank steak (about 1 1/4 inches thick) or 1 (1 1/2 lb) top round beef (about 1 1/4 inches thick)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- Mince the garlic to a paste with the salt. Combine in a blender with the vinegar, soy sauce, and honey and pulse until blended.
- Place the meat in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag or shallow baking dish and pour the marinade over the meat. Marinate in the fridge, turning occasionally, for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over high heat. Lift the steak out of the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Sear the steak on one side, 4 to 6 minutes. Turn and sear on the second side, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes. Holding a knife at a 45 degree angle, cut the steak across the grain into thin slices. Serve hot.