Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
Welcome to one of my adopted recipes. I have yet to make this, but I hear it is good, yet needs a tweak or two, based on a very helpful reviewer. When I do make it, I may try adding the pecans to the crust and sprinkling a few on top of the meringue for a garnish.***ADOPTED AGAIN***
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces raspberry preserves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in flour, blending well.
- Press mixture into a lightly greased 15 x 10 x 1" jelly-roll pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven; cool in pan.
- Spread raspberry preserves over baked crust.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) in a medium mixing bowl until foamy.
- Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in vanilla.
- Spread meringue over preserves.
- Sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool slightly; cut into 2 x 1-inch bars with a warm knife.
- Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Store in airtight containers.
These were fantastic. I was like L4C, the dough is very stiff and takes some work getting it to stretch for the entire pan, but it did and it turned out fine. I did use strawberry preserves, because that is what I had on hand, and I also used a bit more than called for. This is a very rich dessert. I will be making it again, but I think next time, I may cut the sugar for the meringue in half.
Okay. These bars were delicious, but I did have a few issues. 1) I had a hard time getting the amount of dough to stretch through the pan. It worked, but I think maybe a bit more dough would have been helpful. 2) there definitely was not enough preserves (at least not in my opinion). I used about 4 more ounces of preserves in order to get a nice layer over the bars. I did feel as though there was a bit too much meringue, so I left off just a tad bit of it. Overall, this recipe is fantastic, and they make for fabulous crowd pleasers. I finished these minutes before my guests arrived, and they were gone before I knew it... They didnt even give me a chance to photograph these lovely little finger-food delights... Next time! Because there WILL be a next time. These were thoroughly enjoyed. (But next time I may leave the nuts off! :) )