Lomo Saltado is a Peruvian dish with Chinese influences. This dish is normally prepared with beef tenderloin, potatoes, and vegetables and served with rice - but this version ditches the beef!! The recipe calls for wheat gluten strips but you could also use SEITAN, TOFU, or PORTABELLA MUSHROOMS. Look for jarred aji yellow paste or aji amarillo paste in a Latin food market. If you can't find the paste, you can use frozen aji amarillo peppers (South American hot yellow chile pepper) or equivilant pepper. Thaw and dice one pepper, and saute it in olive oil until it's soft. This recipe is from Vegan International.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups rice
- 1 lb yukon gold potato (or your choice)
- oil, for deep frying potatoes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large red onion, cut into eights or large strips
- 1 lb wheat gluten, strips about 1-2-inch long or 1 lb portabella mushroom
- 1 1/2 teaspoons aji yellow paste
- 4 tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons peruvian Pisco (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1Prepare the rice and set aside (keep warm).
- 2Heat oil to 325°, cut potatoes into french fries and fry for 5 minutes. Remove from oil.
- 3Reheat oil to 375° and resume cooking fries for about 2-3 more minutes (depending on size) until golden brown, crispy, and cooked through. Keep warm.
- 4Heat 2 tablespoons oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, gluten strips or mushrooms and fry until browned.
- 5Add aji, tomatoes, parsley, cilantro, vinegar, soy sauce, and spices and cook for 2 minutes until tomatoes are softened.
- 6If desired, sprinkle pisco on top of the dish and ignite (remember to extinguish, if necessary).
- 7Squeeze lime juice over pan, add french fries, and quickly toss together. Serve over rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lomo Saltado ( Vegan )
Serving Size: 1 (511 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 980.2
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 696.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 126.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 96.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
aji yellow paste