This dish is made of marinated steak, vegetables, & fried potatoes and it is sometimes served over rice. It is one of the most popular recipes in Peru. I am posting it for ZWT 2008. Based on reviews I have cut back on the amount of meat & jalapenos. Thanks for the great feedback...
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef tenderloin, cut into strips (or some other tender steak)
- 2 medium red onions, cut into strips
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, cut into strips
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- 4 potatoes, peeled & cut into strips
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon paprika
- canola oil, for frying
- Make a paste by combining the garlic & salt. Whisk together the garlic paste, rice vinegar, soy sauce, canola oil, cumin, & ground black pepper.
- Place the steak in one bowl & the onions in another. Divide the marinade between the 2 bowls & let set in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Pour a small amount of oil in a wok & turn on medium heat. Once the oil is hot add the steak with marinade & cook until brown. Add the tomato & simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the jalapeño, cilantro, & onions with marinade to the wok, slowly stirring until well blended. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- As the ingredients are cooking in the wok, sprinkle the potatoes with paprika & fry in a separate pan. Once done add to the other ingredients.
- Serve with a dish of white rice.