This dish is made of marinated steak, vegetables, & fried potatoes and it is sometimes served over rice. It is one of the most popular recipes in Peru. I am posting it for ZWT 2008. Based on reviews I have cut back on the amount of meat & jalapenos. Thanks for the great feedback...
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef tenderloin, cut into strips (or some other tender steak)
- 2 medium red onions, cut into strips
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, cut into strips
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- 4 potatoes, peeled & cut into strips
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon paprika
- canola oil, for frying
- Make a paste by combining the garlic & salt. Whisk together the garlic paste, rice vinegar, soy sauce, canola oil, cumin, & ground black pepper.
- Place the steak in one bowl & the onions in another. Divide the marinade between the 2 bowls & let set in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Pour a small amount of oil in a wok & turn on medium heat. Once the oil is hot add the steak with marinade & cook until brown. Add the tomato & simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the jalapeño, cilantro, & onions with marinade to the wok, slowly stirring until well blended. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- As the ingredients are cooking in the wok, sprinkle the potatoes with paprika & fry in a separate pan. Once done add to the other ingredients.
- Serve with a dish of white rice.
Came out awesome! Hubby says "best thing you've cooked so far"! Love to hear and makes me want to up my cooking game. This recipe was really easy to follow. Only suggestion is to let meat marinate longer than an hour to get all those great flavors.
Very good! I omitted the jalapenos, but it didn't miss a beat. I used half a bag of frozen fries (oven cooked) to help out. I mixed the fries in at the end. I'm glad someone mentioned to drain the tomatoes. Thanks for sharing!
Delicious! We've enjoyed this dish in Peruvian restaurants, now I can make it at home! The flavors are amazing in this dish. I didn't use cilantro or jalapenos as we do not care for them. Instead, I added a bit of cayenne pepper. I also used small red potatoes cut into wedges and prepared per Zesty Oven Baked Fries, Zesty Oven Baked Fries, for the potatoes. I also added some fresh corn kernels and red/green/yellow pepper strips as I happened to have some on hand. Served over white rice. This is going into the favorites file! Made for ZWT4. Edited to add: I have made this recipe many times, it is one of the best recipes I have tried from 'Zaar! For the amount of meat and red onions call for, I triple the marinade recipe, but only use 1/2 the amount of oil called for. You can use strips of cooked meat in this recipe as well and it is also good with chicken. I also use 1/2 a bag of frozen french fries, cooked, for the potatoes and add a bag of southwest blend veggies, which includes corn, black beans roasted peppers, onions and chiles. I leave out the cilantro and jalapenos and add cayenne pepper instead. The marinade smells amazing!! An absolutely fabulous recipe that we adore!