Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
Lomo Saltado is a Peruvian dish served with white rice on the side and fried potatoes served on top of the meat and vegetables. While this may sound odd, potatoes are originally from Peru and they are used in every possible way. Many Japanese moved to Peru several generations ago. The soy sauce gives good depth to the marinade.
- 453.59-680.38 g skirt steaks, petite fillets, hanger or 453.59-680.38 g flat iron steak
- 2 medium red onions, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 red bell peppers or 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1-2 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and sliced into strips (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.23 ml sea salt
- 19.71 ml red wine or 19.71 ml sherry wine vinegar
- 19.71 ml soy sauce
- 59.16 ml olive oil, divided
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 3.69 ml ground black pepper
- 5 medium yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into French-fry like strips
- 2.46 ml paprika
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 59.14 ml chopped cilantro leaf
- Place steak in 1 bowl and onions in another. Using a knife, make a paste by combining garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Whisk together garlic paste, vinegar, soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, cumin and ground black pepper. Divide marinade between steak and onions. Refrigerate for 1/2 hour.
- While steak is marinating, cook potatoes. Drizzle them with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with paprika. Put in a 375 degree oven and roast. Check them after 6 minutes and toss with a spatula. Depending on how thick you cut them, they should cook fairly quickly, so keep an eye on them; set aside.
- Before cooking, allow steak and onions to come to room temperature. Place steak on in a hot saute pan with a little oil and cook about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, depending on which cut you are using. Discard marinade. When done, let steak rest before slicing.
- Place onions face down in saute pan and cook until slightly soft, about 6 minutes per side. When done, cut onions into wedges.
- In a large bowl combine steak and juices, onions, peppers, tomatoes, cilantro and reserved marinade. Toss gently and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if needed. Season potatoes and place on top of meat and vegetables. Serve warm.