Another Peruvian recipe given to me by my dear friend Jess who is living in Peru. This is her husband's favorite. (The recipe is different from others on the site and is supposed to be very authentic.)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lb beef tenderloin
- 2 red onions, sliced thinly into slivers
- 1 hot yellow pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 red peppers, sliced into thin strips
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced into thin strips
- vegetable oil for frying potato
- salt and pepper
- Peel and cut potatoes into 1/2 inch thick french fries, and place in ice water.
- Cut beef into thin 1/2 inch strips. Mash garlic cloves. Heat vegetable oil in a skillet and saute garlic with the cumin for 1 minute.
- Add beef and cook on medium high heat until browned on all sides.
- Remove beef from heat and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add the onions and hot yellow pepper to the same pan and cook 2 to 3 minutes, until the onions are soft, adding a little more vegetable oil if needed.
- Add the vinegar, soy sauce, and red peppers and cook 2 to 3 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a separate pan, fry the potatoes in 1 to 2 inches of oil until golden. Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the beef to the pan with the onions and peppers. Add the tomatoes and heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the french fries to the stir-fry. Serve with rice.