Prep 6 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
My dad and I make this every so often. The end pieces are the best!
- 6 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 cups chopped stale bread
- 4 large eggs
- 2 heads garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups beef stock, simmered for at least a day from leftover bones from beef mentioned above
- Place ground beef and chopped bread in a large pot or pan and mix it up.
- Break eggs over mixture and combine well.
- Peel and chop garlic coarsely and add it to the mixture, along with the dried spices and cheese.
- Allow to rest in refrigerator for 6-24 hours.
- Form into large European bread shaped loaf and place in shallow heavy baking pan.
- Bake in oven preheated to 425°F for 45 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350°F and bake for another 90-120 minutes. During last hour of baking baste often with beef stock.
- Remove from oven when a sharp knife inserted in the center fails to produce red or greasy liquid.
- Center should be uniform brown, and there should be a dark crusty surface all around the loaf.
- Allow to cool at least 15 minutes.