Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I just wanted something with a little more zing for our homegrown green beans, I was getting sick of the same old thing all the time. So I came up with this, and it was a hit!
- 2 cups fresh green beans
- 1 tablespoon light butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup picante sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon bottled crumbled reduced-fat bacon, 50% less fat, such as Hormel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Snap ends from beans and boil in water for 8 minutes, then immediately shock with ice water to stop cooking process. Set aside.
- In saucepan on medium heat, saute onions in butter and oil until tender.
- Add garlic and tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add drained beans, picante sauce, vinegar, sugar, pepper and bacon.
- Saute until beans are to desired doneness, about 3-5 minutes.