Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
These hard candies may be made without sticks, but children may choke on them, so I suggest you make them with sticks for the kids.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 6 -8 drops peppermint extract
- vegetable food coloring
- Mix sugar, corn syrup and water.
- Cook over low heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved and mixture boils.
- Continue boiling without stirring until a small amount is very brittle when dropped into cold water (310°F). Wash away crystals from sides of pan with a damp cloth.
- Cook slowly at end so syrup will not discolor.
- Remove from heat.
- Add flavor and color; stir only to mix.
- Drop syrup quickly from tip of spoon onto flat greased surface.
- Press one end of wooden skewer into edge of each lollipop.
- When firm but still warm, loosen from surface to prevent cracking.