Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My Aunt Lola gave me this recipe. She used to make it for her club meetings. It is a simple and easy to make dish.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Using an electric mixer , mix the eggs, oil, sugar, and pumpkin together until smooth.
- In another bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and ginger together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and continue beating until combined.
- spray a 13 x 9-inch pan. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth it until it is level. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Frost the cake.
- To make the frosting:.
- Beat the butter in a small bowl until it is fluffy. Add the zest. Gradually add the powdered sugar.
- Beat in enough milk to reach the desired spreading consistency.
- Cut it into bars to serve.
Great tasting pumpkin bars, but then I'm a big fan of the 'Great Pumpkin'! For those just getting into baking & perhaps a bit unfamiliar with 'creaming' butter for a frosting, be sure the butter is at room temperature! The only change I made was to use more than double the orange zest indicated! An OUTSTANDING recipe, & thanks for sharing! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's PAC]