Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Super simple and hearty. Smells wonderful while cooking and freezes beautifully.
- 3 lbs chuck roast or 3 lbs seven-bone roast, cut into pieces
- 8 onions, quartered
- 8 -10 carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 -3 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, diluted
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 8 tablespoons uncooked tapioca (yes, 8 tablespoons!)
- 1 cup sherry wine or 1 cup red wine
- DO NOT BROWN MEAT!
- Mix all ingredients in a covered roaster.
- Bake 5-6 hours at 250 degrees.
Loved the idea of tomatoes, basil and wine. Put in 8 whole small onions, added a couple cloves garlic, seared the roast and put all in crockpot and forgot about it until dinner time. I did not delute the mushroom soup.
I really wanted to like this (the mushrooms and wine led me to try it), but the flavor and odd aroma were just not to our liking. The thickness the tapioca provided was probably the best part of this for us, and will use this idea in other stew recipes. Sorry.