2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Found online; posting for ZWT6 (NA*ME/Turkey)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine sugar, 1 1/2 cups water and lemon juice in a thick-based pan.
- 2Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves, brushing sugar crystals off side of pan with bristle brush dipped in cold water.
- 3Bring to the boil and boil to soft ball stage 115 C (240 F) on a candy thermometer; remove from heat.
- 4In another thick-based pan blend cornflour, cream of tartar and 1 cup cold water until smooth.
- 5Boil remaining 2 cups water and stir into cornflour mixture, then place over low heat.
- 6Stir constantly until mixture thickens and bubbles; use a balloon whisk if lumps form.
- 7Pour hot syrup gradually into cornflour mixture, stirring constantly.
- 8Bring to a boil and gently for 1 1/4 hours; stir occasionally with a wooden spoon and cook until mixture is a pale golden color. Stirring is essential.
- 9Stir in rose water to taste and a few drops of red food coloring to tinge it pale pink.
- 10Blend in nuts if used, and remove from heat.
- 11Pour into an oiled 23 cm (9 inch) square cake tin and leave for 12 hours to set.
- 12Combine confectioners' sugar and the 1/4 cup cornflour in a flat dish.
- 13Cut Turkish Delight into squares with an oiled knife and toss in sugar mixture.
- 14Store in a sealed container with remaining sugar mixture sprinkled between layers.
- 16Creme de Menthe Lokum:.
- 17Replace rose water and red food coloring with 2 tablespoons Creme de Menthe liqueur and a little green food coloring; omit nuts
- 18Orange Lokum:
- 19Use 1-2 tablespoons orange flower water instead of rose water; use orange food coloring
- 20Vanilla Lokum:
- 21Use 2 teaspoons vanilla essence instead of rose water and coloring, stir in 1/2 cup toasted chopped almonds or chopped walnuts. Do not blanch almonds.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lokum ( Turkish Delight )
Serving Size: 1 (2180 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2238.3
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 19.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 525.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 445.4 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: