Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Found online; posting for ZWT6 (NA*ME/Turkey)
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup cornflour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon rose water (may be doubled)
- red food coloring
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted almond
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornflour
- Combine sugar, 1 1/2 cups water and lemon juice in a thick-based pan.
- Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves, brushing sugar crystals off side of pan with bristle brush dipped in cold water.
- Bring to the boil and boil to soft ball stage 115 C (240 F) on a candy thermometer; remove from heat.
- In another thick-based pan blend cornflour, cream of tartar and 1 cup cold water until smooth.
- Boil remaining 2 cups water and stir into cornflour mixture, then place over low heat.
- Stir constantly until mixture thickens and bubbles; use a balloon whisk if lumps form.
- Pour hot syrup gradually into cornflour mixture, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil and gently for 1 1/4 hours; stir occasionally with a wooden spoon and cook until mixture is a pale golden color. Stirring is essential.
- Stir in rose water to taste and a few drops of red food coloring to tinge it pale pink.
- Blend in nuts if used, and remove from heat.
- Pour into an oiled 23 cm (9 inch) square cake tin and leave for 12 hours to set.
- Combine confectioners' sugar and the 1/4 cup cornflour in a flat dish.
- Cut Turkish Delight into squares with an oiled knife and toss in sugar mixture.
- Store in a sealed container with remaining sugar mixture sprinkled between layers.
- Creme de Menthe Lokum:.
- Replace rose water and red food coloring with 2 tablespoons Creme de Menthe liqueur and a little green food coloring; omit nuts
- Orange Lokum:
- Use 1-2 tablespoons orange flower water instead of rose water; use orange food coloring
- Vanilla Lokum:
- Use 2 teaspoons vanilla essence instead of rose water and coloring, stir in 1/2 cup toasted chopped almonds or chopped walnuts. Do not blanch almonds.