Recipe by Lainey39
This recipe comes from a recent issue of Ladies' Home Journal. It is a recipe from Billy Joel and his wife, Katie Lee.
Top Review by ChefDLH
These burgers were very good. We made as written. We have also made these with no cheese and subbed in cheddar too and enjoyed all three. This is a nice change from the traditional bun burgers. I originally found this recipe in The Comfort Table Cookbook by Katie Lee. Well received. You need to use good quality beef and cheese to make the flavors come alive. Thanks for posting Lainey6605. Enjoy! ChefDLH
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium sweet onion, half grated (remaining half thinly sliced)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 12 slices white bread
- 12 slices American cheese
- pickle (optional)
- ketchup (optional)
- mustard (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium bowl, using hands, combine beef, grated onion, egg, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Form into 6 (4-inch) patties.
- Spread 1/2 t butter on one side of each bread slice; set aside.
- Heat a large heavy duty skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook burgers, turning once, until cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate-lined with paper towels.
- Drain fat from skillet.
- Add 3 bread slices, buttered side down, and layer each with 1 cheese slice, onion slice, burger, another cheese slice and bread, buttered side up.
- Cook over medium-low heat, turning once, until bread is golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Repeat to make 3 more sandwiches.
- Serve with condiments, if desired.