Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my favorite thing to order at Smokey Bones, a place popular for BBQ and watching sports. Darden Restaurants closed a lot of the locations and sold the rest to another company in 2008. This is my own copycat version of the salad, not an official restaurant recipe. This is very filling even as a vegetarian salad without the chicken or shrimp; at Smokey Bones they give you an unrealistically huge portion - making this recipe only serve four. Use any dressing you like; I really love Spicy Tex-Mex Salad Dressing however it's not an exact replicate of Smokey Bones' dressing.
- 6 ounces romaine lettuce
- 6 ounces field greens
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (or one huge one)
- 1⁄3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup sesame sticks
- 1⁄3 cup toasted pecans
- 1⁄2 cup wasabi peas
- 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sante fe salad dressing (Spicy Tex-Mex Salad Dressing is very good, however not exactly like Smokey Bones')
- grilled chicken (optional)
- grilled shrimp (optional)
- Toss all ingredients together.
- Top each serving with grilled chicken or a shrimp skewer, if desired.
Great salad, we love sesame sticks and sunflower seeds. I left out the pecans and wasabi peas. I used ranch dressing but I think thousand island or honey mustard would also have been good. My husband suggested bacos next time.
This makes a huge salad. We loved the combination of flavors. I toasted a couple of tortillas to go with and had a wonderful meal. Thanks!
Love the crunchy bits in this outstanding, different salad!