Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a South American soup made with fava beans. I found the recipe at www.laylita.com/recipes. It looks delicious. Posted for ZWT 2008.
- 4 cups twice peeled fresh fava beans, from about 4 lbs of whole fava pods
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups diced white onions, about 1 whole onion
- 2 roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground achiote powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 large gold potatoes, peeled and chopped in medium chunks, about 3 cups
- 6 cups water or 6 cups broth
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups crumbled queso fresco or 1 1⁄2 cups feta
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro or 3 tablespoons parsley
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the chopped onion, cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the crushed garlic, cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, cumin, hot pepper powder or chili powder, achiote powder and salt, mix well and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and the water or broth, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add 2 cups of the twice peeled fava beans, cook until the potatoes are soft, about 25 minutes.
- Use a potato masher to soften and crumble the potato chunks.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of fava beans and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk the milk and the eggs together, stir this mixture into the soup.
- Stir in the crumbled queso fresco.
- Sprinkle with the chopped cilantro or parsley and serve warm with hot sauce and avocado.