Recipe by Pesto lover
This is a soup I grew up on. We ate it once a week by demand of 5 hungry kids!
Top Review by Kumquat the Cat's friend
Absolutely excellent, a South American comfort soup more than palatable to the North American palate (including kids). Potatoes and cheese, how more comforting can this get? I was pleased to have been able to find achiote seeds (aka annato seeds) and recommend not omitting it from this recipe. It makes for a lovely color, imparts a mildly hot/smokey taste to the dish and I'm looking forward to finding other recipes that also use it. I used a bit more than half teaspoon seeds, halved the entire recipe and used low-fat milk and low-fat monterey jack cheese. My BF wholeheartedly agreed with my asssessment. I didn't add rice, as using a whole egg on half the recipe made it thick enough. Oh, I boiled a bit longer because I get paranoid about eggs that are not cooked long enough. Loved this! Looking forward to finishing this for lunch tomorrow and to making this again. Thanks! P.S. I used vegetable broth because we are vegetarians:D
- 4-5 large russet potatoes, peeled & cut in chunks
- 1892.72 ml chicken broth
- 236.59 ml milk
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 9.85 ml olive oil (colored with achiote seeds)
- 1 egg
- 473.18 ml monterey jack cheese, shredded
- salt & pepper
- 473.18 ml cooked rice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring broth to a boil and add the potatoes. After it boils again, add milk.
- Meanwhile, to make olive oil with aciote seeds, you heat the oil in a small frying pan with 2-3 achiote seeds over med heat until the oil turns an orange color. Do not let the seeds burn, as the oil will taste bad.
- Saute the onion in the colored oil until translucent.
- When potatoes are almost done, add the onion.
- Separate the egg. Beat the yolk and add some hot soup to it, mix and add it into the pot. Stir well. Beat the egg white a little and add into the soup. Stir with a fork, Ribbons will form.
- Add in the cheese and stir until melted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. You can sprinkle sliced green onion tops or cilantro on top to serve.
- As kids, we put a scoop of rice in the bowl and poured the soup onto it to serve. Delicious!