1/1 Photo of Locro - South American Potato Soup
Pesto lover's Note:
This is a soup I grew up on. We ate it once a week by demand of 5 hungry kids!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring broth to a boil and add the potatoes. After it boils again, add milk.
- 2Meanwhile, to make olive oil with aciote seeds, you heat the oil in a small frying pan with 2-3 achiote seeds over med heat until the oil turns an orange color. Do not let the seeds burn, as the oil will taste bad.
- 3Saute the onion in the colored oil until translucent.
- 4When potatoes are almost done, add the onion.
- 5Separate the egg. Beat the yolk and add some hot soup to it, mix and add it into the pot. Stir well. Beat the egg white a little and add into the soup. Stir with a fork, Ribbons will form.
- 6Add in the cheese and stir until melted.
- 7Add salt and pepper to taste. You can sprinkle sliced green onion tops or cilantro on top to serve.
- 8As kids, we put a scoop of rice in the bowl and poured the soup onto it to serve. Delicious!
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Locro - South American Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (549 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 437.5
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 74.4 mg
- Sodium 1266.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 23.1 g